The world is constantly changing and so is the workplace. We tend to embrace change when we are convinced that we will benefit from that change; in most times that is not the case.
Habitually, people oppose, reject and evade change if they feel that it will have negative consequences in their lives. Today more than ever success is determined by our ability to accept change and adapt.
People who embrace change are always looking for the positives that come with it. They do not ignore the negatives, instead they purposefully choose to focus on the positives.
One Chinese philosopher said after his house burned down, “Now I can see the stars.”
Adaptability is the ability to change (or be changed) to fit changed circumstances.
Effective people recognize that they will have to change the way they work to fit the task and situation at hand and then they analyze what will have to be done and make it happen in a timely manner.
Success depends on our ability to act quickly and accordingly to new situations. Adaptability is linked to a number of other emotional intelligence factors like stress management and self-regard. Some qualities of adaptability include;
- Problem-solving skills- the ability to find creative ways to solve problems.
- Decision-making skills- the ability to be decisive and confident when making informed decisions
- Confidence- feeling confident in ourselves directly impacts our feelings of how well we can adapt and successfully change.
- Stress management- It is also necessary that we keep our stress at manageable levels. High levels of stress make us less able to cope with change.
- High self-esteem- people with low self-esteem often view themselves as victims of change and they end up feeling helpless rather than adapting.
Why are Employers looking for Adaptability Skills?
The Covid-19 pandemic has caught everyone off guard and employers are looking to hire employees with the ability to cope with change or respond well to change. Situations and workplaces have changed extremely quickly and employees and organizations, have had to adapt to the changes really quickly.
How can you show that you are an adaptable employee?
- Taking on different roles and responsibilities.
- Encouraging balance between work and life
- Setting up a practical workspace
- Staying positive
- Getting your work done despite working from home glitches